Search This Blog

Friday 11 November 2011

Remembrance & Learning From Mistakes

Today is Remembrance Day and I would like to acknowledge all of the fallen and those still in service for their selfless actions allowing us to live life the way we do today.
I am so lucky to be in this country and receive the health care I do. But there is still much work to do in terms of the help received for depression.
I received a call today from a doctor who runs a cognitive behavior class which I have been referred to by my psychiatrist (it's very interesting and for more info check out Mind Over Mood by Dr. Greenberg). But what I want to discuss is just like most medical wait times: the wait to get into this class is a month. With my depression that I was facing earlier this season I couldn't wait.
I've really tried (or rather my mother has) finding all resources to help me battle depression. I tried crisis hotlines and got put on hold. Even getting into counseling at my university was difficult. The worst I have to say was after I had my suicide attempt of overdosing in late August I was allowed to go home after three days. And because of the overdose they had taken me off my medication which I have been taking since I was 15 years old (grade ten). I saw my psychiatrist as an out patient once after that and then there was another two week wait. I began my spiral downwards once again. If I had not gone home at the insistence of my mother I probably would have reached the point of no return again.
As convincing as I can be when I am not in the middle of a depressive episode I think allowing me to return to normal life three days after my suicide attempt was irresponsible. I'm not blaming a particular person. But the system has to be adjusted. Even though I am physically sound I question where the blame would go if I were not treated for my disease and killed myself? Was it really me making that decision or is it the disease that could have killed me similar to cancer or any other disease?

For more information on cognitive behavior therapy check out this link for Mind Over Mood by Dr. Greenberg: http://www.mindovermood.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment