Search This Blog

Saturday 10 December 2011

It Gets Better

I am very conflicted over the videos titled "It Gets Better" relaying the message to LGBT adolescents and teens about how their world will improve after leaving high school. But what about now? Rick Mercer from CBC rants about the need for action to be taken now, for things to get better right now. He calls upon adult role models to start taking action this minute.
That is my question for depression, what about right now? When I am in the middle of a depressed episode having people tell me that everything will get better eventually almost makes things worse. All I can think about how terrible my present feels. Action needs to be taken now.
I've seen one commercial advertising for depressionhurts.ca but other then that I think there is a huge lack of public awareness for depression as well as a lack of role models. We need to rid the whole stigma of mental health and start putting measures to make sure even when people, especially young people, are feeling this pain there is help readily available help. That is why I am sharing my story, I am slowly getting better. But my voice is not big enough yet to reach as many depressed people as I would like.

1 comment: